Having your Form W-2 is an essential part of being able to file taxes. That’s why every employer who you worked for over the previous tax year is required to send you a W-2 by January 31st. Those still waiting for their W-2s may be feeling anxious, but there are steps you can take to resolve the issue and file your taxes.

What Is a Form W-2?

Form W-2s are used to report the total income you received from an employer during the tax year, as well as what taxes were withheld. Employers are required to send this information to both you and the Internal Revenue Service. If you are a freelance or contract worker, though, you won’t receive a Form W-2. Instead, expect Form 1099-MISCs from those customers who paid you $600 or more.

What Should I Do If I Didn’t Receive My Form W-2?

According to the IRS, it’s best to wait until mid-February to take action. Mail can run behind and addresses can be mixed up. If your employer provides their forms electronically and you haven’t received one, they may have the incorrect email address for you or may have typed it in incorrectly.

Reach Out to Your Employer

Once you’ve given it a few weeks, contact your employer to inform them you haven’t received your W-2 and ask for an update. Ensure they have your correct information on record, particularly if you have had a change of address.

Reach Out to the IRS

By the end of February, if you still have not gotten your W-2 and have not had luck with contacting your employer, contact the IRS. You can reach them by phone at 800-829-1040 or by scheduling an appointment at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC).

When contacting the IRS, have this information ready:

  •   Your name, Social Security number, address with zip code and phone number
  •   Your employer’s name, EIN (this can be located on a pay stub), address with zip code and phone number
  •   The dates you were employed with your employer
  •   An estimate of your wages and the federal tax that was withheld by your employer (your final pay stub will have this information on it)

Once you have provided the IRS with the information they need, they will reach out to your employer and instruct them to send your W-2 within 10 days. They will also remind them that employers who do not comply with regulations regarding W-2s will be penalized.

File Without Form W-2

If you have completed these steps and still haven’t received your W-2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement to file your taxes. To complete this, use your most recent pay stub or estimate to the best of your ability.

If it’s past January 31st and you haven’t received your W-2, make your best efforts to track them down so that you may file your taxes on time. For W-2 questions, including filing Form 4852, contact the experts at KDK Accountancy Corporation for a free consultation at (407) 759-5363.